Thursday, September 25, 2008

Update - Sep 25

Hi all. First of all, I have been sleeping like a baby. Normally, this would be good news, except that I have been sleeping in Church, at prayer meetings, at a visitation, even at a funeral! I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a minor case of Typhoid. They started me on medication (7 days ago) and I feel back to normal now.

On Saturday, I am going to the Democratic Republic of Congo for a few days with the Bishop to visit our mission there. I wish Christine was coming with me, but the South African Broadcasting Company is coming to do a documentary on the mission and Christine wants to be on tv! Kidding, she is coordinating the show.

We participated in a cleanup of one of the slum areas that we visit called Lenana. When we got there in the morning, hardly any of the community members were there to help. We prayed for God to send us an army. Within an hour we had almost one hundred people helping us out! It was awesome! Expect pictures on Facebook soon. You’ll get to see the areas we visit.

Zara (Selina's sister) came to visit us and took us to see and play with baby elephants! It was so cool! I also got to touch a rhino! I was in heaven! Expect pictures on Facebook soon :)

The Bishop invited us to an overnight prayer session at this paradise retreat center called Brackenhurst. This was a first for us. We prayed all through the night for God to reveal his vision of the future of the mission to us. It was really nice, but we didn’t last very long. I think we only made it until 1:30am. Still, it was a great learning for us on how to hear God’s voice.

Incredibly, 2 landowners have donated land to the Church for new hospitals and Churches! This is totally exciting, as we get to be a part of the making of a new mission. It’s neat to see God at work  On October 4th, we’re doing a medical campaign to one of the new lands.

Spiritually, things are getting way better here in the mission in Nairobi. We have gotten into a rhythm where we have quiet time in the mornings, sharing at 8:15am, then a mix of prayer meetings and Bible studies and song nights. Quiet time is beginning to feel like a necessity. We miss God when we don’t have our quiet time.

We are both praying constantly for our brothers and sisters. We pray that God touches your lives and showers you with His love. We dream of the day when we can get together to talk about our Father.

We had planned to go to Singapore shortly before Christmas, but the flight is really costly, so it might not happen. We long to visit Carm and Jeju and especially little Mocushla. Donations will be accepted.

Please comment on the blog and let us know how you are doing. God Bless.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you guys have kept us from your updates for soo long!! I am really happy to see your back to blogging again. Juan! are you ok? what happened? are you feeling better now? Please take good care of yourselves.
I can't wait to see your pictures on facebook.
So, if you can't make it to Singapore for Christmas, where would be your second choice? Egypt? Calgary? or Minnesota perhaps?? hmm? hmm? I would blindly donate to the above options. (otherwise, I would also like donations for myself to go to Singapore and meet you guys there).
I hope you are both ok and doing well.
I wish I could see you soon.

Femmes Singapore said...

It's one thing for Juan and Christine to request donations to come to Singapore, but Irene too?? Ai yo! :)

Glad to hear from you crazy clowns, I was starting to worry that something had happened because a couple of weeks had gone by since your last entry. Sorry to hear about the Typhoid, yikes. That's cool about Christine coordinating a TV show, maybe she's found herself a new career! Juan - please take care of yourself in the Congo, it's not the safest place. I'll look into flights and see what I can find. We are planning to go to Canada at Christmas, so I was thinking you guys might want to come for the first 3 weeks of Dec? What dates were you thinking?

Anonymous said...

Hi Juan, how are you, we miss you so much here, I hope you can visit us again in near time. Waseem is leaving back to Egypt in mid October and mostly he will not come back to the mission. Samuel nowadays is with us, and we are expecting Michael Sabry and Riyad to help us.
Thank you for your nice words about us in previous post, I'm really waiting for and enjoying your blogging to follow up your "adventures" ;)
I hope you've recovered from Typhoid and in good health.
We need your prayers here in Musoma, and my greetings to Christine.
God Bless You.
Fady Yousef, Musoma, Tanzania