Monday, June 16, 2008

Visiting Juan's Mom and Dad on the Island



My mom and dad retired last year, spent a few months touring Asia, and are now settling in their new home on Vancouver Island. We went to visit them for 12 wonderful days. I can only describe their home as a little piece of heaven. They are both so happy and are already making friends, which we all knew wouldn't take long :)

The island is so lush. Green everywhere. Exotic plants abound. The mountain range defines the skyline. The ocean surrounds you. If you are an outdoorsy person, it's paradise. When we were kids, mom and dad took us camping every summer, so we all love the outdoors, and it's no mystery why mom and dad are in love with their new home. Mom has started 3 vegetable gardens and has kiwi plants, blueberry bushes and some marijuana.

To no suprise, mom and dad are as funny as ever. I can only imagine that dad must have been saving up all of his jokes, because he was ON FIRE! Joke after joke, and all of it was GOLD! All I could do was honor the master. Ironically, mom seems to laugh at EVERYTHING EXCEPT dad's jokes. Mom finds everything funny and laughs like a little kid. And it's pure entertainment when they argue.

They asked me to set up their wireless internet and wireless printing, which I did, but not without crashing their computer and having to rebuild it from scratch!!! There is no proof that it was my fault. It was pure luck that I had my portable harddrive with me. I was able to fire up a command prompt and backup all of their pictures and documents. We all learned a valuable lesson from that fiasco - make sure you backup your computer! For technical assistance, call my dad -he is a pro now.

We skyped often with Carmen, Jeju and Mikaela. Mikaela is crawling all over the place and is cuter than ever. What a sweet little girl she is. Yup, that's my God-daughter. Skype is a great way to keep in touch. My skype alias is igjuana.

It makes me happy to see my parents happy. There is a peace of mind that comes with knowing that your parents are ok. To see them so relaxed after many years of hard work - I am glad for them and proud of them and love them and I can't wait to see them again.

Tonight, my best friends are having a bbq for us. Tomorrow night, we fly to Egypt to visit Christine's family. My family is coming to see us off at the airport - it will be emotional.

This is it...in three days we'll be in Africa! Stay tuned...

I posted the Nanaimo photos:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

marijuana??